Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thankful Thursday ~ June 21, 2007


Dear Friends,

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10

For many years I raised money and served in different capacities in a service organization. The main project my husband and I headed up was for City of Hope. I was humbled and honored that the organization had a plaque with my name hung with others on an honor wall. The value and significance of the meaning of that has increased ten fold in the past few days.

I have a very dear friend Mabel who is one of the first people I met when I moved to California years ago and one of the last faces I saw when driving away. She walked up and down the mountain roads with me , she helped us repair the roof at our club. She has a sense of adventure and love that fills the room and your heart. With Mabel you could have a cry , laugh and an adventure all in one day. She is one of the friends that stood by me when I did a mountain bike fund raiser and decided we at the club could de bone , skin and bulk cook over 200 pounds of chicken and barbecue for the race ourselves to raise even more money rather then a cater...Oh my...don't even ask and no I didn't eat chicken again for a long time. She helped me host many of teas and parties, run a campaign etc.

For several months now Mabel has been getting treatments at the City of Hope , and decided to pass out cheer up nickles . As she puts it why not spread some Happiness joy and light rather then sit in her room and mope. Well she attached a poem I wrote her with angel pins I sent her in bulk when I heard of her project. Well they decided to put a plaque up for her on the patient wall and she said no she would go where the club plaques are and asked to be put near mine . Her reason: " I am a volunteer of God's Army and not a sick victim of the other guy"...LOL

I am grateful for the opportunity to serve others. I am thankful for wonderful friends that make serving a joy. I am thankful for all my family and friends talents in serving in the Lords service. I am thankful Mabel is getting better day by day. I am thankful for my daughter receiving another scholarship which is an answer to a prayer. I am thankful for all my wonderful blogging friends and their inspiring posts that I can glean from.

Thank you from my heart for your visit to my blog today. May you be blessed this week and always.

Thank you to Iris for hosting this .

In his endless love,

Angel ():)

36 Gracious friends said:

Anonymous said...

Angel,

Gulp. I want to cry. When I feel my life is hard, all I need to do is pop in here and read this post.

Wow, THANK YOU!

Nise' said...

Wonderful post. Oh my, I don't think I could look at a chicken much less eat it for a long time either!

Detroit said...

Beautiful - thanks for sharing!
Blessings!

Denise said...

What a precious post my sweet friend, love you.

Lyndy said...

What a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your thankful heart today.

Many blessing to you.

Lyndy

Kim said...

Love and Bravery, yes Lord, thank you for love and bravery.

Akelamalu said...

A visit to your blog always leaves me uplifted. Reiki Blessings to you Angel. x

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing dear girl. Everyone needs a friend like Mable. Glad she's getting better. Blessings.

Delete said...

What a blessing to have such a wonderful friend in your life!

Ann said...

What's the saying? By giving we receive? I'm so glad you've been a blessing through City of Hope, and that you've been blessed in the process.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

cheer up nickels! how precious is that!!

thanks for sharing this..:)

Lisa

Lori said...

What a great list of things to be thankful for.

I'm glad your friend Mabel is getting better too.

Isn't it wonderful how God answers prayer.

I"m thankful for your blog also: it is a blessing to me too.

Cara said...

OOo, you have a beautiful blog too. So refreshing to see happy content Christian ladies on the net :)

Cara

Deedra said...

What a wonderful blessing Mable is! As are you! Have a wonderful week!

Diane Viere said...

What a blessing Mabel really is!

And how blessed I am each and every time I visit your blog.

Happy TT.

Diane

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

VERY inspirational! What an uplifting story. Thanks so much for sharing. Blessings to you.

Rene Perez said...

God has definitely placed a few prize roses among the wild flowers hasn't he?

Aisling said...

Sounds like an amazing lady who you are lucky to know.

Karen said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing! And thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. Our God is so good to us isn't He?!

Blessings to you and yours~
Karen

Sharon Brumfield said...

Thank you for serving the Lord with a cheerful heart.

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Gosh, what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing. Mabel sounds like such an amazing friend to have! I'm glad they recognized your work---you'll inspire others to pitch in too!

Trella said...

Thanks for visiting me, and I love your blog. I will have to start joining in on your Wordless Wednesday.

Blessings to you,
Trella

Lori said...

Wow I don't even know how to comment, this touched me so much. May we all be Mabel's !!


Thank you so much for sharing.

Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe said...

You are such an inspiration to me!

Cherie said...

Thank you so much for sharing Mabel with us! What a blessing indeed!
Have a blessed week!

Christine said...

What a beautiful friendship you have! You being thankful for the opportunity to serve, she being a positive presence in the midst of struggle. What a blessing, Angel!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

That was such a beautiful post. True friends are hard to find, and it sounds like you have a wonderful friend.

eph2810 said...

Your friend Mabel sounds like a woman after God's own heart. I like how she said to put her plague next to yours since she is "a volunteer of God's Army and not a sick victim of the other guy" - What a beautiful spirit!

I am thrilled that your daughter got the scholarship. I know what it is like to pay for education.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.

Be blessed today and always.

Alycia said...

Such an uplifting post today, as usual. I know God is using you in a mighty way to bless others. Thank you for sharing this encouraing post today! Blessings!

Hopeful Spirit said...

That's a beautiful message, Angel Mama.

Debbie said...

Your Mabel on the West coast reminded me of my Mabel on the East coast. Maybe I will blog about her sometime.....What an example. (yours and mine) lol....

This was beautiful. Rejoicing over the scholarship with you! What a blessing!!

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing about your friends wonderful attitude. Give thanks in ALL THINGS is the command isn't it.
Susan

Susie said...

Thanks for visiting me and sharing these thoughts about your friend. This was an uplifting post..
:)

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you! I love the music playing on your site! Beautiful! And I love Mabel's line, "I am a volunteer in God's army..." Powerful!

Tracy

Believer said...

What a precious friendship! I think Mabel has a special purpose that includes being in your life. Thanks for blessing me with such an inspirational post.

My lengthy second post for the 30-day challenge is published.

Blessings...
Heavenly Voice

Melanie said...

What a beautiful post. Mabel sounds like an amazing friend. I can always count on an inspirational post when I visit your blog!