Monday, July 16, 2007

Marriage Monday~ 30 Day Challenge


Dear Friends,


"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."

William James


I remember a special teacher and dear friend of mine's favorite saying "don't play tiddly winks with manhole covers". Of course any of us within hearing distance would always laugh and go about our day. But is has made me realize to pick and choose my battles and try not to make things bigger then what they are. To try to be loving and kind as sometimes you can say you are sorry but once the words are said they hurt.

It made me think of the joke I have heard different versions of over the years:

They had shared everything. They had talked about everything. They had kept no secrets from each other except that the little old woman had a shoe box in the top of her closet that she had cautioned her husband never to open or ask her about. For all of these years, he had never thought about the box, but one day the little old woman got very sick and the doctor said she would not recover. In trying to sort out their affairs, the little old man took down the shoe box and took it to his wife's bedside. She agreed that it was time that he should know what was in the box. When he opened it, he found two crocheted dolls and a stack of money totaling $25,000. He asked her about the contents.

"When we were to be married," she said, "my grandmother told me the secret of a happy marriage was to never argue. She told me that if I ever got angry with you, I should just keep quiet and crochet a doll."

The little old man was so moved; he had to fight back tears. Only two precious dolls were in the box. She had only been angry with him two times in all those years of living and loving. He almost burst with happiness.

"Honey," he said, "that explains the dolls, but what about all of this money? Where did it come from?"
"Oh," she said, "that's the money I made from selling the dolls.

Joke : Source : Anonymous and credit my good friend Bee who sends all these to us in email over the years.


I love my husband dearly as you all do and have had a project that is very important to him , with deadlines of course, that we have been doing. So things have gotten frustrating at times and well you all know how that goes. So this week and month I will concentrate on the good and the happiness life brings and try to bring him joy. Though it has been tough the last few days...LOL But you do know I produce dolls right? All laughs aside I do produce dolls and love them and my family but need humor to get through some days. The dolls we produce go to charity for children in violent situations.

My fellow Queens of the castles I pray that your days are filled with joy , laughter, Chocolate, love and joy. I will be praying for you marriages, enjoy gleaning from your posts, visiting your blogs and seeing you soon. I apologize I haven't written for a few days and will be around later to visit as I have appointments all morning.

Thank you for your visits and comments they mean so much. May the Lord Bless you and your marriages this week and always.

Thank you Christine for hosting . I love learning from you all.

Thanks for the lovely comments, Kate, Denise, Sheri, Lynn, Heather, Becky, Connie, Melanie, Pia, Amy, Maggie, Debbie, Denita,
Blackpurl, Christine, Donetta, Rosemarie

Would you like to comment?

Love ,




18 Gracious friends said:

Kate said...

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."

What an excellent topic to choose to speak for this challenge. There are times when our relationships can be improved when we just bite our tongues and look for the good instead.

Loved the story of the dolls. I have enjoyed my time here this morning.

Kate

Denise said...

Praying for sweet blessings to be upon your marriage always my friend, I love you.

Sheri said...

Oh that joke is great!!! I am going to share that with my mom and mother-in-law today!

You are an inspiration and I will continue to pray for your marriage as you pray for mine. Thank you my dear sister in the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Angel Mama,

Fantastic post. I was encouraged just stopping in here. I always feel welcome and warm when visiting. You are a treasure to me.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I love the story about the dolls. I think I may need to use this type of idea to deal with things over the next year plus. Thanks for sharing the story and the wisdom within.

Unknown said...

I am thrilled that you stopped by. Thanks for visiting. It was nice to meet you.

Connie Barris said...

I just had to giggle outloud.. my husband asked me what I was laughing at... not sure I want to tell him...

precious love.... so encouraging

Love you Angel

Melanie said...

Great post! I think I will take up crocheting dolls! ;)
Thanks for some giggles!

Anonymous said...

thank you for lifting me and my husband up in prayer. it means a lot to us.

Amy said...

That is so true, I've learned to let the small things go and just concentrate on letting God change the big issues.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your sweet comment, and for praying for the lovely Carmen.

Maggie

Debbie said...

Still smiling over the dolls......

I was just thinking the other day how sometimes it's easier to let the small things go.

I love my husband dearly and never want to face a day wishing I had him with me again. The reality of that option makes toothpaste squeezed from the middle of the tube or shoes left in the livingroom endearing.

Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

check your email dear. thanks for your comments. i'll keep you posted on how things go.

D.

Alida Sharp said...

As a crocheter I love the doll story!!!

I too am grateful for the lessons I have learned from participating in this challenge.

I pray that God will continually bless you and your husband!

Christine said...

Love that quote and the joke, both ring so true.

Thanks for being such an encouragement to me and many others!

Donetta said...

I am rolling in laughter.
The dolls. Oh Father God how funny!
I have been married over 25 years now i could have been rich! What was I thinking?
:)

Believer said...

The quote and joke tie the message together beautifully!

Heavenly Voice

groovyoldlady said...

Ah yes, we are going through sandwiched-in-the-middle-midlife-crisis. I have been crocheting GIANTS!