Friday, June 29, 2007

Pet Warning for Dog Owners

Sir Spot


Dear Friends,

I found this Serious Warning on my sweet blogging friend Green Eyed Girl . If any of you have dogs this is real important.
On a funny note I had visitors here before for my dog training hints...um ok my husband was rolling on the floor with that google search!My animals are very spoiled.

The following is serious:

I received this in an email today and had to post it. I have never heard of this before. Please read and pass on to all your friends.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 ½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

Ev en if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

YOU can check the accuracy of this information at: http://www.snopes.com

5 Gracious friends said:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Nise' said...

I heard this a while back and wondered if I had a super dog! Let me tell you, our beloved Bailey ate everything under the sun: the kids chocolate filled easter baskets, a package of grapes, loaves of bread, anything that was not tied down! We even had to re-install baby locks on the cupboards, cause she could get them open! She was NEVER bothered by what she ate!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Thanks Denise! Love you!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Nise ,

I know I had one dog that could literally eat anything including all my homemade cookies at Christmas when I was at Church...

Hugs,

Angel ():)

Breanna said...

Interesting to know.