Saturday, May 19, 2007

Angel Mama's Coffee House Blueberry Scones, Chai Tea and Coffee House Recipes


Dear Friends,

Here is some recipes that we love especially on the weekend. I so wish some of you could come pull up a chair and have a cup of tea and visit. I came in from my walk and working outside to make these for our weekend treats and thought I would share.

Blueberry Scones~ This is a recipe we adapted from Bon Appétit as we wanted to copy cat a T. Joe's that we love.

Hope you enjoy we love it.

I have also included two of our copy cat chai tea and coffee house recipes we use , especially on the weekend.

Angel M's Blueberry Scones

Ingredients:

3 cups self-rising flour

1/2 cup plus 11/2 tablespoons sugar

3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 1/2 cups dried wild blueberries (about 10 ounces)

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel

preparation

Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk self-rising flour and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Using fingertips, rub in chilled butter until pieces are size of small peas. Add dried wild blueberries and toss to coat. Mix 1 cup buttermilk and finely grated lemon peel in glass measuring cup. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and stir until dough begins to form (some of flour will not be incorporated). Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and gather together. Knead dough briefly, about 5 turns. Divide dough in half. Form each dough half into ball and flatten into 1-inch-thick disk. Cut each disk into 6 wedges.

Transfer scones to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk or (regular milk mixed with confectionery sugar and orange juice) and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. We love both versions of the topping.Bake until scones are golden brown on top and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

Angel M's Chai Tea~

3 cups water
3 cups milk (I use skim)
6-8 black or decaf black tea bags
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves (I use less because I don't like too strong a clove taste)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (or a mashed small chunk of fresh)

Bring water and milk to a boil. Add other ingredients, return to boil. Turn off
heat and let steep for 3-5 minutes. Remove tea bags then filter through fine
strainer. Good hot or cold. (I keep it in the refrigerator and microwave it if
I want it hot.)

This is a copy cat for the famous coffee house s “Lowfat Creamy Blend of Coffee & Milk” Those little bottles will set you back quite a bit, but this version costs a mere fraction of that. . The recipe even teaches you how to clone espresso with a standard drip machine and ground coffee.


Angel M's Coffee House Surprise ~
Ingredients

1/2 cup fresh espresso
2 1/2 cups lowfat milk (2 percent)
1/8 or less cup raw sugar ( we use raw) granulated sugar ( my husband likes it sweet I use even less of my self )
1 tablespoon dry pectin*

Combine all of the ingredients in a pitcher or covered container.
Stir or shake until sugar is dissolved. Chill and serve cold.
Makes 24 ounces.

Variety

To make the “Mocha” variety:
Add a pinch (1/16 teaspoon) of cocoa powder to the mixture before
combining.

To fake espresso with a drip coffee maker and standard grind of
coffee:
Use 1/3 cup ground coffee and 1 cup of water.
Brew once then run coffee through machine again, same grounds.
Makes about 1/2 cup fresh espresso to use in the above recipe.
Run a pot of water through machine, without grounds, to clean.

*This is a natural thickener found in fruits that is used for
canning. You can find it in the supermarket near the canning
supplies. It is used in this recipe to make the drink thicker
and creamier, and can be found in the original recipe. It does
not add to the flavor and can be excluded if you don’t care so
much about duplicating the texture of the real thing.

We buy a lot of our tea in bulk ,usually the organic from two different suppliers, dry honey and the different coffee flavors from a restaruant supply store in bulk for a great price so will include many more recipes we make if you want for our iced coffee etc.






Enjoy !


Love,

Angel Mama ():)





10 Gracious friends said:

Denise said...

These all sound delicious, I love blueberries.

Anonymous said...

I love cold coffee in the summer. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!
Love, Vivian

Anonymous said...

Oh YUM!!! All three of these recipes sound eXtremely delicious. You featured some of my absolute favorites. ThanX for sharing (printer's humming)!

eph2810 said...

The Scone recipe sounds yummy. I wish I could say that I am a baker--I think my hubby would love it if I'd bake more, but I just don't find the time for it...but then again, you just have to make time for certain things.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings on your Sunday and always.

groovyoldlady said...

AWESOME recipes.

Of course, I just started lo-carb again today.

Oh well, to heck with it. I'll start my diet tomorrow!

(Munch, slurp, munch) Mmmmmmmm!

Deborah said...

I love chai tea thank you for the chat and tea, will call back soon, love always me

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Thank you all hope you enjoy as much as we do.

Mitchypoo said...

Oh my, I'm making chai tea this weekend! Thank you!

http://mitchypoo777.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yum these look like wonderful recipes I MUST try. Thanks for visiting me and the kind thigs you said regarding my children :)

Have a great weekend!
Bridget

Mrs. V. said...

Is that one of the platters we were talking about?