Sunday, July 8, 2007

Women's Blogging Carnival Post~ Precious Moments


Dear Friends,


How do you measure a precious moment?


Over the years I have realized that some of the most precious memories I have had with my children or friends were just slices of time .

With life at such a fast pace now , and so many things instant, it makes taking the time to just smell the roses, feed the ducks ,or go to a park seem at times that they need to be scheduled. Yet these are the times that my children have talked of the most.

Looking at the jars of sea glass gleaming like jeweled candy, pressed flowers and leaves, the pictures of their outdoor art workshops or puppet theater have invoked so many memories . Happiness and memories not just of the moment but how they relate that to the things that are important to them now at different stages in their lives. Taking the time to berry pick, hike , or mountain bike ride has made them not only appreciate nature or life but the time we took with them. I have four different children , with varied interests , hobbies , needs and most of all ages . Scheduling has been tough but surprising enough I have found through talks that a certain time camping , or at the beach , baking the cookies or shopping for a certain dress are their favorite memories. Slices of time that I might not have thought important at the time.

As I walk the beach with my husband, make a kite with my son, talk to my daughter, eat lunch with a friend, help my other sons with projects I always wonder which moment will be the magic moment in their time capsule of memories.

I remember going with my Great grandmother over the railroad tracks , to the pond and feeding the ducks who begged for more morsels. I felt so important as we had a mission to accomplish. People were depending on us..LOL We carefully picked blackberries from the thorned bushes and no matter how timid we were , l still got scratched. Filling the buckets to the brim and well of course eating some. We carried them back to make black berry pies and drinks. Here is the secret recipe to my grandmothers blackberry juice and memory maker.

I love learning about you all, your families, hints for us and memories.

Enjoy you week and thank you so much for your visit. I know how precious your time is and I am so glad you stopped by.


Old time Blackberry Juice

Ripe, wild blackberries, lightly mashed and put through cheese cloth

1/2- 2 cups of raw sugar for each quart of juice

3 teaspoons grated nutmeg

1 tablespoon crushed cinnamon stick

2 teaspoons whole cloves

4 tablespoons vanilla extract


Measure stained juice into a medium or large saucepan as needed.

Add sugar ( 1 1/2 -2 cups per quart of juice). In a muslin bag, tie the grated nutmeg, stick cinnamon and cloves. Simmer juice and spices over low heat until blended about 25 minutes. Take saucepan off heat and remove bag of spices. Stir in the vanilla.

Pour into scrubbed and sterilized quart jars to 1/2 inch from top Process in water bath for 15 minutes.

Adaption of Grange Cooking 1948.

Smiles and Blessings,








2 Gracious friends said:

Denise said...

Yummy, I love all of your recipes.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I love those precious moments too. I'm always amazed that the times we truly remember are those times that we just spent quality time together (as a family, couple, or mother/daughter, father/daughter).