Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fruit Granita Recipe


Dear Friends,

Granita's are lovely fruit slushes ( fruit flavored ices) originating from Italy. I use to always have these when I was little. The area I grew up in New York had a little Italy. Here is one of the recipes that my husband and I make for our family during the summer.


Watermelon Granita




1 to 1/3 cup of sugar we use raw
2 cinnamon sticks
1 1/4 cups of water
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of watermelon ( not the rind)
juice of 1 lemon don't use lemon juice
mint springs to decorate ( optional)


Put sugar and cinnamon sticks in pan with sugar and 1 1/4 cups water. Stir over gentle heat until sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Allow to cool completely, then remove, wash and dry cinnamon sticks.

Put the watermelon flesh through a moulilegumes ( or strainer or mash) then sieve to remove the seeds. Mix watermelon pulp with the cold syrup, adding the lemon juice to taste, then chill in the refrigerator. Pour into a shallow container to a depth of 3/4 inches. Cover and freeze for 1 hour until the liquid has formed an ice rim around the edge and is starting to freeze at the base.

Scrape this away with a fork and mash evenly with remaining liquid. repeat every 30 minutes until the mixture forms a consistency of ice crystals. Serve a mounded high in a chilled glass ( frosted in the refrigerator) we also freeze ours in paper cups for later use.

Enjoy the La dolce vita ( the sweet life)

Thanks for your comment: Denise, NestingMomma,
Kate
Would you like to comment?

5 Gracious friends said:

Denise said...

Thanks my dear friend for this recipe, I love watermelon.

Nesting Momma said...

wow looks good. I'll have to try it!

Kate said...

MMM! Looks tasty.

Kate

Susan said...

Now that looks refreshing!
Susan

Melanie said...

Sounds pretty easy, I think I'll try it!