Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Thankful Thursday ~ Humorous Angel Cake



" In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" ( 1 Thess. 5:18)


Dear Friends,

There is a legend about two angels- Angel Requests and Angel Thanks. Each morning they come from heaven and go on errands. By the end of the lovely day Angel Requests has his basket overflowing, but Angel Thanks has only a few. I am so grateful to read everyones posts and see that you are all thanking God for everything in your lives.

I am thankful for all in my life. I am thankful to God for the assurance that he can turn every circumstance into blessings and lift us above any circumstance.

I am thankful for my friends , family and sense of humor to be able to laugh when needed. When I first started driving in the mountains of California years ago with the fog etc. I almost went off the cliff and realized that God never let me and my family never let me forget...LOL

Speaking of sense of humor my dear friend Millie sent this to me and thought you all might like a laugh for today:
Alice Grayson was to bake a cake for the Baptist Church Ladies' Group in Tuscaloosa, but forgot to do it until the last minute. She remembered it the morning of the bake sale and after rummaging through cabinets, found an angel food cake mix and quickly made it while drying her hair, dressing, and helping her son pack up for Scout camp. When Alice took the cake from the oven, the center had dropped flat and the cake was horribly disfigured. she said, "Oh dear, there is not time to bake another cake."

This cake was important to Alice because she did so want to fit in at her new church, and in her new community of friends. So, being inventive, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake. Alice found it in the bathroom-a roll of Toilet paper. She plunked it in and then covered it with icing. Not only did the finished product look beautiful, it looked perfect. Before she left the house to drop the cake by the church and head for work, Alice woke her daughter and gave her some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the moment it opened at 9:30 and to buy the cake and bring it home.
When the daughter arrived at the sale, she found the attractive, perfect cake had already been sold. Amanda grabbed her cell phone and called her mom. Alice was horrified-she was beside herself. Everyone would know! What would they think? She would be ostracized, talked about, ridiculed! All night, Alice lay awake in bed thinking about people pointing fingers at her and talking about her behind her back. The next day, Alice promised herself she would try not to think about the cake and would attend the fancy luncheon/bridal shower at the home of a fellow church member and try to have a good time. Alice did not really want to attend because the hostess was a snob who more than once had looked down her nose the fact Alice was a single parent and not from the founding families of Tuscaloosa, but having already RSVP'd , she couldn't think of a believable excuse to stay home. The meal was elegant, the company was definitely upper crust old South and to Alice 's horror, the cake in question was presented for dessert!
Alice felt the blood drain from her body when she saw the cake! She started out of her chair to tell the hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, the Mayor's wife said, "what a beautiful cake!"
Alice still stunned, sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say, "Thank you, I baked it myself."
Alice smiled and thought to herself, "God is good."

Thank you Iris for hosting.


In his endless love,

Angel Mama ():)

30 Gracious friends said:

Mimi Lenox said...

I just love this blog! I can't wait to get this beautiful globe in the gallery. How awesome!

Thank you for posting and welcome to the lovely land of the peace globes.

Crystal said...

I love the joke....thanks for sharing Thankful Thursday with us!
Blessings

Denise said...

You have such a lovely heart, bless you.

Alycia said...

What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing and for your encouraging blog! Blessings to you today!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Very sweet thankful list. I liked the story too. You have a lovely blog!

Tami said...

Great story. How funny! I'm thankful God has such a sense of humor!

Earthmuffin said...

It does the heart good to be thankful. The story was hilarous also. Take care my friend and chin up. It will all come out in the wash. Just remember if Satan is not attacking then he has you right where he wants you.

Annie

Sharon Brumfield said...

Girl that was great. Thank you for sharing it-what a great way to start my morning.
God IS good all the time!

Nise' said...

Love the reminder to be a people of thanks and not just requests! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow..I love that story..sounds like something that would happen to me. I also enjoyed the story about the two angels. I try to be thankful but sometimes it's hard when going through a trial.

Blessings to you my friend.

Serving Him said...

Loved the story about the Angel food cake....thank you so much for the laugh. Enjoy your day. Sincerely, Serving Him

Mary said...

God seems to work things out for us! Hilarious! Laughter is like medicine. Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your day.

Darla said...

Thank you so much for sharing your posts, and for posting on mine :)
I would be flattered if you linked to me, and would love to be linked to yours.
Thanks,
Darla aka bloggin mom

Debbie said...

That's cute! This would be a good example to use for those who think that's it's okay to "tell a little, while lie" There's no such thing and there is always a penalty....*grin*

Blessings to you and hope you're having a great day!

Deena Peterson said...

That was wonderful...and too true!!

Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the comment on my post. I so enjoyed yours today. My husband is sitting here and I read it aloud to him and we both got a really good chuckle.
Susan

Lyndy said...

Thank you for sharing your thankful heart.

Blessings,
Lyndy

Anonymous said...

Too Funny.... :)

Annie said...

Great post!
thank you for visiting my blog today.

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog

God is good always

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed this post, Miss Angel -- especially the humorous cake story! ThanX for the smile. :-)

Deborah said...

loved that, you may link my dear friend just not sure how to do that. love always me

eph2810 said...

That is a cute story. It reminds us that even though we are less than perfect, God can turn anything from bad into good...

Thank you for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.
Be blessed today and always.

Mimi Lenox said...

Oh my gosh, that cake story was hysterical.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm responding about the Good Mail Girls revolution! Just email me at elasticwaistbandlady@yahoo.com

The cake story cracked me up as I thought of all the things we've made out of toilet paper rolls ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and to answer your question, yes...feel free to link to my blog and be sure to visit anytime. I love the name and look of your blog...it is so pretty.

Melanie said...

I have a special prayer request over at my blog. I would appreciate it if you would stop by and let me know that you will be helping me pray.

Rachelle said...

Great story, thanks for giving me a smile!

Gretchen said...

God does have a sense of humor. :) Great story.

groovyoldlady said...

Greed and envy will always meet their match... :-)