Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In Other Words Tuesday ~ April 24,2007


"Busyness Is Not A Spiritual Gift"

Lisa Harper



Dear Friends,

Years ago moving from the East Coast to the West Coast, leaving friends and family behind, I forged ahead with the our family to make a new life. We moved for my husbands job but it was still hard. I felt like the world was on my shoulders to make everything right in my children's eyes especially my daughter being a teenager and leaving her friends. I made many new friends, found new experiences, and found friends that would become family. I also started volunteering for different organizations, became a elected official and helped my children learn the gift of giving isn't always money. The gift of giving is from your heart, your time and your energy to benefit another. We enjoyed those times together. Helping others ,bonding as a family and growing in the Lord.
Slowly though I felt it taking over my life. I knew my friends and organizations didn't have enough people for the needed community fund raiser , or meals driven to shut ins, camp fund raisers for children with eye problems, seeing eye dogs needed training, the school district needed me ...the list went on. Please don't misunderstand I loved every minute of helping , bringing joy to others and along with that teaching my children values. My family has always come first for me after the Lord. So there were clothes to wash, food to buy , and meals to prepare. You are all moms, or wives , sisters or friends you know. I began to find not only did I feel guilty saying no, but no one expected me to. I found many got upset when I or one of my family members did say the dreaded no. When my husband had an accident at work and I saw some still expected us to do so much,it was then that I realized God didn't impose these things on me , people pleasing , others and I were doing it to myself. I had to let a lot go and focus back on my family and the Lord. I realized his subtle messages to me were what I needed to hear.
We had to move from our beloved community once again for a job. I have once again made new friends, found new experiences and have kept in touch with all my friends. I have loved every minute of my time learning new things, teaching my children values but would never get on the people pleasing merry go round again. Having the Lord, my family and my priorities set are important to me to live my life in the Lords vision and path.

May you be blessed this week in the Lord.
I will enjoy reading and learning from all your posts. Thank you Christine for hosting this weeks In other words Tuesday.

In his endless love,

Angel

12 Gracious friends said:

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

We just moved this past August and I'm finding myself stepping back a lot more. There is still guilt there and I'm still way too busy but slowly I'm finding my balance. Slowly. :)

Blessings~

Believer said...

A Moving Story From A Moving Friend
The purpose must be greater than the pain...

http://www.justmoved.org/archive/26story/26m.htm

God is good though and last year we moved back to paradise -- Arizona!

The people-pleasing-merry-go-round. Loved it!

Thanks for reminding us that as wives and mothers our home is our first ministry.

“Pearls of wisdom…a heavenly voice.”
http://avoicetobeheard.blogspot.com/

Akelamalu said...

If we don't say YES all the time, when we do it means a whole lot more.

Denise said...

I really enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your priorities are in the right order. Thank you for sharing your experience. Hope your dh is ok after his accident.

Hugs,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your life and input. I think sometimes we all try to be people pleasers. God Bless.

Amydeanne said...

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing!

Christine said...

It's such a blessing that you realized that things in your life, even good things, were taking over. If we listen to the Spirit we will learn so much! Thanks for posting today!

Mrs. V. said...

Just a quick note....
Just wanted to let you know, my cell is not charged and I can't find the charger anywhere! Ug! I'll call you once I find it. If you call me on our land line, I won't be able to hear a word!
Gracious....
Denita :-)

Debbie said...

I can totally relate to always being depended on to say "yes" to EVERYTHING!! I fell into this trap and it was hard to get out of. It's not that I thought I was the only one who could do it, but I, too felt guilty if I were to say no. Afterall, isn't that what being a christian is all about? *smile* I would ask myself this previous question.... no one else had to.

Thanks be to God, I can now carefully choose the committment presented. This is another reason we must recognize our own relationship with Christ so we won't be intimidated into anything and then we can do what we do for HIM wholeheartedly!!
Blessings to you!

Grandparents Corner said...

Angel Mama, thank you for sharing this. We will be making some decisions this week about where to serve God in our church and want the decisions to be based on where He wants us.

Your trip sounded wonderful, a ballgame is the perfect place for family fun and memories. Glad you got a little shopping in too! *Hugs*

eph2810 said...

It is hard to say no sometimes. You are right - we need a 'wake-up call' from our Lord to get back to our priorities. I know--I have been there.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this quote.