Thursday, March 15, 2007

Irish Blessings and Spotted Dog ~

Dear Friends,

Here is Granny Violet's Irish Soda Bread. My darling husband and I are both of Irish descent and and have made this and "Irish Spotted Dog". True Irish bread doesn't have raisins , sugar , zest or honey. So as my husband's Granny use to say " do you want Spotted dog or the real thing?" I will include both recipes as the Spotted Dog with raisins is great.

Granny Violet's Irish Soda Bread


4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (optional)
1 1/2 - 2 cups buttermilk (or use regular milk combined with 2 teaspoons white or cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a baking sheet or cake pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and soda, then stir in the raisins, if desired. Add enough buttermilk to make a soft bread that you can knead.

3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead it briefly. Shape it into a round loaf and place it on the baking sheet. Cut a cross in the top of the loaf with a single-edged razor blade or a very sharp floured knife.

4. Bake for about 35 minutes.Remove from oven and cool on a rack.

Will make 1 loaf.



Irish Spotted Dog


2 cups of flour

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

3 tablespoons of butter

2/3 cup of buttermilk

2 tablespoons of brown sugar

1 egg

3/4 cup of raisins


Preheat the oven to 350.

In a bowl stir together flour, salt, sugar, soda, baking powder and raisins.

In a separate bowl beat buttermilk, egg and butter.

Stir together moist and dry ingredients. Knead as above . Place in mound on greased cookie sheet . Cut a cross into top as above. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.


Irish soda bread is best eaten the day it is made.



Love,

Angel Mama ():)


2 Gracious friends said:

Anonymous said...

Going to make soda bread tomorrow for the first time...I'll let you know how my family likes it...thanks

The picture makes me want to watch Lucy again. Would you believe my children have never seen I Love Lucy? although my son says mommy, I wanna be in the show :-D

Kathy

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dear Kathy,
I hope you enjoyed your St. Patty's Day and the blessings your richly deserve. I hope the bread turned out for you I will email you soon to check in.

In his endless love,
Angel Mama ():) (D.)